RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- Cute Pattern Plaid Lattice Slippers Non-Slip Quick-Drying Slippers Women Kids Men Kids
- YNN 10 Pairs Disposable Slippers Cotton and Linen Open Toe Slippers Fit Most Men & Women (color B)
- Women's Booties, Pointed Thick Heel Black Mid Tube Fashion Boots Ladies Fall Winter New 5.5cm High-Heel Ankle Boots &Martin Boots (color B, Size 41)
- Lh yu Women Sandals Women Platform Pumps Peep Toe shoes Sandals shoes Ankle Strap Pumps Heel Ladies Pumps Mouth Waterproof Female shoes, 40 High Quality
- Summer Leather Sandals Rivet Ladies Fashion Women Flat Sandals Studed Girls Footwear Buckle
- Men's Boots, Leather Fall Winter Martin Boots Outdoor Tooling Boots High shoes High Help Martin Boots Comfortable Running Boot Walking Boot Hiking Boot High-Top Boot XUE (color B, Size 39)
- Nine Seven Genuine Leather Women's Cap Toe High Chunky Heel Side Zip Handmade Lace Up Platform Graceful Dress Ankle Booties
- Luciano White Boots for Men's Elvis Costumes-100% Leather
- Harley-Davidson Womens Abbey Work Boot
- ZHRUI Men Casual shoes Breathable Height Increasing shoes (color White, Size 6.5=40 EU)
- ZHRUI Men Flats Spring Autumn Genuine Leather Business Men shoes Hand Sewing Comfortable Office Mens Casual shoes Lace Up (color Brown, Size 7=41 EU)
- Universal Textiles Mens Travis Lace up Ankle Boots
- New Balance Men's Rush V1 Speed Lacrosse shoes
- Danner Men's Stronghold Wellington 10 NMT Boot
- Black MAYPIE Womens Toare Leather Zipper Ankle Boots
- VIMISAOI Party Wedding Prom Women High Heel shoes Sexy Crystal Pointed Toe Stiletto Pumps
- PUMA Womens Suede Classic Bboy Athletic & Sneakers Pink
- Sunlome Monochrome Winged Pegasus Print Handbags Women's PU Leather Top-Handle Shoulder Bags
- Rismart Women's Ankle Strap Summer Open Toe Leather Stylish Heeled Sandals shoes
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.