RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- Lady Slippers Ladies Leather Home Interior Solid color Breathable Stylish Casual Indoor Wild Non-Slip Comfortable Womens Leisure Slippers
- Massimo Matteo Womens Pointy Toe Pump 17
- JANET&JANET Women's 43052000003 Brown Suede Ankle Boots
- Steve Madden Men's Clarity Slip-on Loafer
- Summer Men's Casual Leather shoes Round Head shoes
- Front FADDEN 2 Mens Suede Brogue Desert shoes Brown
- Dublin Adults Evolution Double Zip Front Paddock Boots
- YCGCM Men's Leather shoes, Pointed, Comfortable, Business, Atmosphere, Lace, Wedding shoes
- Navy bluee Kmeioo Mules for Women,Rivet Mule shoes Pointed Toe Studded Strappy Flat Sandals Slip On Loafer Slides
- Teenager Girl Cute Slip On Spring and Summer Sandals Women Sexy High Heel Sandals Party Sandals
- Easy Street Women's Sportster Clog
- InterestPrint Womens Slip On Canvas shoes Loafers Burning Coal Girls Classic Casual Sneakers Flats
- Casual Western Ankle Bootie Comfortable Closed Toe shoes Low Heel Slip on Boot
- Uieort Summer Pattern Lemons Flowers Leaves Womens Lace up Canvas shoes Comfortable
- Pro Dancer Women Ballroom Dancing shoes Salsa Sandals Latin Dance Heels Brown
- Garyline Women Peep Toe Platform Beads High Heels Wedding Pumps Crystal Dress Heels
- Qupid CD09 Women Metallic Leatherette Pointy Cap Toe Quilted Stiletto Pump - Silver
- Fanyuan Platform Pumps Women Thin High Heels shoes Rhinestone Fringe Woman
- Alfani Womens Palessaant Almond Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 9.0
- AYAQQAP Classic Handmade Men's Loafers with Durable Italian Sole and Genuine Leather
- BalaMasa Womens Kitten-Heels Zipper Solid Above-The-Knee Black Urethane Boots ABL09638 - 10.5 B(M) US
- Dig dog bone Men's Lightweight Soft Oxfords Flat Heel Round Toe Lace Up Leisure shoes
- L4K3 Fitness & Cross-Training Womens Suede White
- BLACKYAK YAK-66D - Boa Closure Lacing System Steel Composite Toe Safety Water Proof Construction Working Comfortable Lightweight Combat Work Boots shoes for Men & Women
- CAPRI Women's CAPRIAB7O gold Leather Sandals
- Sneakers Men's, Spring Fall Outdoor Exercise Sneakers,Microfiber Men's Hiking shoes, Waterproof Climbing shoes, Fitness shoes,Running shoes
- Mzq-yq River shoes Men Outdoor Wading Trail Running shoes Summer Set Foot Walking shoes Men's Large Size
- Men's Suede Leisure Non-slip Loafers Cozy Breathable Driving shoes Wear resistant Lace Moccasin Slippers
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.